South Kensington Campus

Frequently asked questions


Q. Must my application be signed off by my HoD?

A. Yes, this is to ensure that the HoD has approved of your research.

Q. How do I know if my study needs to be approved by ICREC?

A. Take a look at our process map of Routes to ethics review‌ (pdf) to see the routes to ethical approval for health related research projects.

Q. Can my research be published without ethical approval?

A. To publish any research findings in the UK you need to have sought approval from some kind of ethical body.

Q. My research is being conducted on animals. Do I still need to gain approval from the ICREC?

A. No, ICREC does not consider animal-related research projects. Research involving animals can be reviewed by AWERB (Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Body).

Q. Who can I contact if I have a query regarding the application form?

A. Please contact the JRCO Administrator, to discuss your queries.

Q. Do I need to complete the Notice of Amendment Form if I have made a non-substantial amendment?

A. Yes, please complete a Notice of Amendment Form and submit this to the JRCO Administrator.

Q. My study has already been approved but I have now decided to evaluate another aspect of my research in addition to my original proposal. Do I need to make another full ICREC application?

A. No, but you should ensure that additional evaluations are formally acknowledged and accepted by the Committee by completing a Notice of Amendment form and sending it to the JRCO Administrator.

If you would like to ask a question that is not addressed on this page, please contact the  Ethics and Research Governance Coordinator.